We would like to share our DIY dishwasher detergent with you!
Why make your own dishwasher detergent? There are so many reasons why!
It saves money, it is eco-friendly (each ingredient is available in paper containers, NO PLASTIC), each ingredient can be used for multiple uses around the house and in DIY projects.
DIY Dishwasher Detergent Recipe
- 2 parts borax
- 2 parts washing soda
- 1 part citric acid
- 1 part salt
- essential oils for scent (completely optional)
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.
- Use 1 tablespoon per load as needed.
- For an extra boost, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only a few!!!) to the powder before closing the soap container in the dishwasher.
- You can also add white vinegar as the rinse agent, though honestly, I forget this most of the time and it still works.
This mixture can also be used to clean your sinks, bathtub and shower. Just sprinkel on shower floor, add white vinegar, rub the mixture onto disired erea and let soak for a while (I let mine soak for and hour or two), rise clean.
PLEASE WEAR GLOVES! If you choose to clean your sinks or shower with the mix, be sure to wear gloves. The powders can irritate the skin.